July 22, 2013

Insert FAQ Here

How is your first semester of college going? What college are you going to? Where is that at? I bet you don't miss it here too much. What are you majoring in? What classes are you taking? Have you made any friends? How're you liking the dorms? What about the food?

SHUT UP!
Please.
And Thank You.

Once you graduate high school, you start to notice a pattern. It's like the only thing people suddenly know how to make small talk about is your post mandatory schooling life decisions. It doesn't matter if you go away to college, stay home for college, take a year off, go straight into the work force, or spend all of your time sitting on that musty old couch in the basement playing video games 24/7 with no plans for the foreseeable future. People will always want to know what you're doing with your life, and 9 times out of 10 it'll make you feel like shit. Oh, you're going to college? How are you making any money? Oh, you're just going to start working for the rest of your life? You should really consider continuing your education. It'll help you get a better job, and they'll be some of the best years of your life. It's really a lose lose situation.

But for some reason, if you are completely unfazed by the questions people ask or the way they ask them, you will shortly grow to resent the questions. The number of times that I have heard What college are you going to? or some similar mind-numbingly dull question is enough to make me want to bash my head through a wall. And of course it's never the same person asking it, so you basically end up having an automatic answer saved in the back of your mind that you have to deliver politely with sincerity and kindness. (even if all you want to do is shout go the fuck away and stop asking me about school)

So as a new comer to the wonderful ways of post secondary schooling, I thought I would heed you all a grave warning,

College Rule #11
Be prepared to get asked about school time and time again. You will get asked so much, that you will actually prefer being at school where at least the only thing people ask you there is what major are you or what dorm are you in (although, that get's pretty old pretty fast, too).

In other news, I haven't written in the past 2 weeks because I was on VAY-KAY visiting THE FAM. Down in the sunny south, I didn't have much time for blogging or coding or artwork or anything of the sort. The lovely picture up there you are viewing is from the family photoshoot. The picture was too long to fit everyone in there, so you're only seeing me and 2 of my cousins. Sucks to be you, baby sister. I'm also becoming more and more addicted to reality shows like The Bachelorette, Big Brother, Project Runway, etc etc. Never do anything ironically, or you'll end up watching TV shows obsessively that you once mocked, or saying things like Yolo, Totes, Probs or making duck faces.

Hope you're all having a lovely summer (or winter). Only a month left for me til I go back to college. So tell me, what are you majoring in? Where are you going to school? What year of schooling are you in? What is your living situation like? See, I'm just helping you get ready for the steady flow of questions that are sure to be headed your way. Don't believe me? Give it a couple of months and then let me know.

Peace. Love. The Third Degree.

Categories: , , ,

1 comment:

  1. Oh lord, I could not agree more. It's been 5 years since I graduated high school and people are STILL asking me if I'm going to university, and when I say no they look at me like I'm mental.

    ReplyDelete